Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!


           I wanted to get this post up yesterday but we had such a busy day I didn’t have time to even finish writing it! I love St. Patrick’s Day! Not only because of my Irish heritage, but also because I love cooking (yay corned beef!) and crafts! We usually do the cutest crafts. However, this year we took a special day in homeschooling to learn about the real St. Patrick and what he did. And I spent the day cooking and baking!
    First, we started our day off with green scrambled eggs and green pancakes! Some of the pancakes were shaped like 3 and 4 leaf clovers, but since I did them by hand, with only patience to assist me, I didn’t make very many of them. The kids loved them though!
   Now that the boys are getting older, their lessons are getting less crafty, but it doesn’t mean they can’t   
still be fun. I found a fun printable packet of St. Patrick's Day learning activities. It includes a history of St. Patrick and why the holiday is celebrated, as well as multiple choice questions, a crossword puzzle and a word search; which are a favorite of my kids! And the best part is that it's completely free! The link is listed below. 
 
End of the Rainbow Cereal Bars


        End of the Rainbow Cereal Bars

12 ounces mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. butter or margarine, cut into chunks
8 cups fruit loop cereal 

1.    Grease a 9x13 pan with spray or butter and set aside.
2.    Melt the butter and marshmallows over a low flame on the stove or in the microwave. Remember it is important to stir, stir, stir during the melting process so that it doesn’t burn and melts evenly. Once it is melted and smooth, remove from flame. Pour in the fruit cereal, one cup at a time and mix well. This is the part the boys love to help me with!
3.    Once everything is well mixed, pour into the greased pan and press down with a spoon that has been greased with butter. If you don’t grease the spoon (or your hand) the marshmallow will stick and make it difficult to press everything down into the pan.
4.    Sprinkle the surface of the fruit cereal/marshmallow mix with golden sprinkles. You don’t have to completely coat the top, just enough to add color and sparkle.
5.    Once completely cooled, remove from the pan and cut into squares. This is best done on a cutting board and be sure to always cut AWAY from yourself! These treats are usually best if eaten the day they’re made or the day after. The fresher they are, the less crunchy and difficult to bite into. Enjoy!

            Along with a green breakfast and cereal bars, I also tried my hand at making a cake, completely from scratch. I’ve decided to call it a Darling Irish Cake. I’ll be posting pictures and the recipe later this week.
            All in all it was a very fun day. I watched The Quiet Man and made the most delicious corned beef and cabbage, with onions, potatoes and carrots. The kids learned that St. Patrick’s Day is about more than leprechauns and they all look adorable in green! Now, please enjoy some pictures of my cute kids and awesome tasting food.


Saint Patrick’s Day packet:  http://www.milehibernians.com/new/AOH%20Saint%20Patrick%20Learning%20Activities.pdf

Corned Beef & Cabbage (with carrots, onions and potatoes)

Jaime's Darling Irish Cake

Monkies loving green breakfast

Yum Yum Yum

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more
And nothing but happiness come through your door ~ An Irish Blessing


No comments:

Post a Comment