Monday, April 20, 2015

Jaime's Darling Irish Cake

"Count the memories, not the calories"    

  For just about every holiday, I have a love of theme decorated baked goods. Especially cakes and cupcakes. They seem to be the most fun to make and decorate. Every Easter and St. Patrick’s Day I try to come up with a new design, usually something inspire by Pinterest. 



This past St. Patrick’s Day I attempted to make a yellow cake from scratch. It turned out pretty good. I still have some fine-tuning to do for aesthetic sake, but it was a very delicious cake!










My kids helped me decorate it and we had a blast. They always love helping me. This year they got to pick out the icing so we had vanilla/chocolate on the sides with white and green coloring. The sprinkles on the sides are gold and the shamrock in the middle was done with green sugar sprinkles.


 I printed the shamrock I found at: www.nuttinbutpreschool.com and cut it out, creating a stencil. While the icing was still wet, I laid the stencil on top and coated well with green sprinkles.











Jaime’s Darling Irish Cake
2 sticks (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cups Nestlé’s Irish Crème coffee creamer
3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)


    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of cake pan and set aside.

    2.  Mix butter and sugar until creamy, then beat in eggs one at a time

    3. Add baking powder, creamer and flavoring. Blend until well mixed. Sift flour in, one cup at a time, for a fluffier cake.

    4. Pour cake batter into pans. The recipe I followed said to cook ‘until cake separated from sides of pan’. I used two round 8-inch cake pans and it took about 50 minutes for them to cook. But keep a close eye on it toward the end because it goes from uncooked to crispy really quickly!

    5.  Once you’ve tested the cake with a toothpick and it’s come out clean, allow the cake to cool, and then decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment