Thursday, April 30, 2015

Z is for Zephyr; the Western Wind




"She stood in the storm, and when the wind didn't blow her away, she adjusted her sails ~Elizabeth Edwards


Okay, maybe the wind doesn’t always blow through here toward the west, but I thought it was clever for “Z”. Most people who live around here will tell you the same thing; that while the KRV is well known for being windy, it blows the most when people come to visit. I’m not saying that the wind is never blowing but it is definitely the worst during tourist season.



This is, of course, caused by seasonal changes in atmospheric pressure, but it’s funny to tell visitors that they brought the wind with them. It can be a real inconvenience, sometimes we just want to hang out at the lake, without being windblown, but we’ve grown accustomed to it for the most part.


When the lake is at higher levels, people take advantage of the powerful gusts for windsurfing, and on the shore the kids do love to fly kites.  
The almost constant wind has also caused trees to grow in interesting directions, usually they lean over. I found them fascinating when we first moved up here, that these trees could not only survive and endure in the wind, but also be flexible. It’s almost metaphoric for life; it’s better to be flexible and blow in the wind than stand against the wind and get blown over or broken.



I can’t believe that I am finally finishing Z for the A-Z Blogging Challenge. The month seemed to go by so fast! I didn’t manage to keep up with it every day, or post the correct letters on the assigned days each time, but that’s life. Sometimes things don’t get posted in time, but they did get posted. If I’m at least able to do that, and still take care of my family and my home, then I feel like I succeeded and I am so proud of myself!

Photo Credits: dandwiki.com
meted.ucar.edu
wordy.photos.com
deutsch.istockphoto.com
Ikitesurf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment